Lent thankfulness:facial tissues

I am fighting a cold virus and finding it harder than usual to feel gratitude.

As explained here I aim to notice something to be thankful for each day this Lent. Today is the 3rd day.

Today as I sniffle and sneeze I am grateful for paper hankies (or facial tissues if that's what you call them). I'm thankful for being able to take a soft dry one out of the box when I need it, rather than re-use a damp and snotty cotton handkerchief. I'm thankful that I don't have to wash them. They will all be composted at the bottom of our garden among the vegetable peelings and garden waste. The heat will kill the bugs as the paper decomposes before being spread with the matured compost on the vegetable garden. Doing that makes me feel slightly less guilty about whether the manufacture of paper tissues is ecologically ethical. The box I'm using claims that the manufacturers source from well-managed forests, but I still have questions - not enough to stop me using paper hankies though , especially when I have a cold.

And yes, I am grateful the things were invented and there's an ample supply in the house.


Comments

  1. Hope you feel better soon, Nancy. I too use paper tissues, as I'm prone to minor nosebleeds, but try to console my conscience by composting them as you do. We're very lucky to have the option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Composters of the world unite!

      Delete
  2. I hope you feel better very soon, I'm suffering as well and glad for tissues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. You forget how miserable you can feel with a cold until you have one again. Hope yours is better too soon.

      Delete
  3. Like all the others Nancy I hope you soon shake this one off, and I too am eternally grateful for the wonderful paper tissue. My late husband refused to use them and insisted on always having freshly ironed cotton one.
    needless to say, I gave hime the job of boiling them (in a huge jam saucepan - and no, it never was used for jam-making) He also did his own ironing!
    Not all the old ways were necessarily better than the new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be shaking it off well thank you Ray. So that's something else to be thankful for.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear this, glad you are feeling a bit better though!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Health back to normal - amazingly fast. Thank God for a healthy immune system! (See my next post.)

      Delete

Post a Comment